The need to recognize membership as an important aspect of KGGA arose from the WAGGGS Global Membership Development Strategy.
WAGGGS conducted a Global Research and discovered that there has been an upward trend in Membership from 2006 of about 8.22 Million Members to 8.23 Million members in 2009.
This numbers are obtained from various Members Organizations (MO’s) form the 5 Regions that WAGGGS work in Kenya being one of them these are;
- USA 3,334,946
- India 1,524,800
- Philippines 599,931
- UK 516737
- Uganda 174,219
- Kenya 158,810
- Nigeria 133,326
- France 111,564
Why a membership strategy?
WAGGGS has challenged its MO’s to develop a Membership Development Strategy. The strategic plan is a document that will be used to communicate membership actions, goals and other critical activities.
With a regional target of 1Million Members by 2017. Kenya Girl Guides Association has taken major steps in ensuring that it meets its target.
- Formation of a Membership Committee whose members are drawn from the National Council and Chaired by the International Commissioner.
- Identification of the Membership Development Goal which aims at recruiting 1milion Girls and Young women by 2017.
Over 50% of Kenya’s 41million population are women; 75% under the age of 30 years of which 47% are in school and other institutions of learning and potential members of the girl guide movement an indication that KGGA has the opportunity to grow not only as the leading organization for girls and young women but also meet its 1 million target by 2017
To achieve this however KGGA has to show commitment and participate proactively in realizing this opportunity.
This are some of the activities that the Membership committee is undertaking and will undertake in future to realize its Goal.
ACTION PLAN 2015
- Adoption of an Online Integrated Membership System; This will provide online application and automated reminder messages for membership renewal.
- Conduct Membership census among Girls Young women and Adult members and enter in our current Membership Database.
- Developed a SWOT and PESTLE analysis questionnaire which should be filled in by the Members of the National Council. This will enable KGGA comment on its strengths and weaknesses inside the Assciciation, take advantage of our opportunities and find ways to slove our weaknesses
- Developed Internal Questionnaires to collect feedback from Girls, Young women and Adult Volunteers to determine trends in Girl Guiding.
- Conduct an External Research. This will determine how KGGA is perceived in the society.
ACTION PLAN 2016.
- Develop Membership Strategy.
- Form Recruitment teams at Regional, County and Ward Levels.
- Image and Branding
- Coordination of Volunteers.
NOTE: Quality is key for both attracting more girls and with greater diversity (Recruitment) and keeping the members (Retention)Register